Underscoring its mission to enable the world to solve its biggest data challenges by building a data infrastructure with next-gen security, Western Digital today introduced the ArmorLock Security Platform.
The ArmorLock Security platform is a data encryption platform that was created to help with the diverse security demands of data-centric and content-critical storage use cases in industries as varied as finance, government, healthcare, IT enterprise, legal, and media and entertainment.
The first product to leverage this advanced technology, the new G-Technology ArmorLock encrypted NVMe SSD, is designed to deliver an easy-to-use, high-performance, high-grade security storage solution for creators in the media and entertainment industry. Facing the threat of hijacked media files and leaked films, studios, agencies, and especially investors are demanding a better way to protect critical content.
Unlike password-based encryption technologies that interrupt workflows and prevent fast availability to digital assets, the ArmorLock Security Platform delivers unmatched security that allows the content owner to control how data is accessed and by whom.
New ArmorLock Platform Enables Next-Gen Security, Simply
A comprehensive set of technologies covers the ArmorLock product lifecycle from manufacturing to out-of-the-box setup, in-field updates, and configuration and key management that ties directly into hardware-backed modules and biometric protection on some of the latest smartphone and desktop platforms.
Building on its legacy of contributions to open source with RISC-V and OpenTitan, Western Digital also announced the open-source release of Sweet B, the high-performance core cryptography library that underlies the ArmorLock Security Platform.
Key features of the ArmorLock Security Platform include:
- Manufacturing technologies that provision each device with a root of trust and the digital certificate of product authenticity
- Simple and robust firmware updates delivered straight from the ArmorLock app
- Open source, the third party audited core cryptography with side-channel attack mitigation
- Sandboxed smartphone and desktop applications delivered through platform-native app stores – no special installer required
- Communications over wireless and wired connections with zero-touch certificate-based provisioning
- Password-less authentication and key exchange technologies that directly link storage encryption to hardware-backed biometric authentication
- Zero-knowledge public key management that helps protect your privacy even if the ArmorLock device is lost or stolen
High-Grade Security with Pro-grade Speed and NVMe Technology
The ArmorLock encrypted NVMe SSD – delivering up to 1000MB/s* read and write speeds via a SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps port – sets a new standard for high-speed encryption products by combining both ease-of-use and next-generation “zero-knowledge” security. With the ArmorLock app, users can unlock the device wirelessly with their phone, using face recognition, a fingerprint, or the phone’s passcode ensuring lost passwords don’t cause missed deadlines.
Especially important for collaborative workflows that require safe shipping of content between physical locations, the next-gen security in ArmorLock devices enables teams to authorize remote users before sharing the drives using popular messaging and email services.
Other key features of the ArmorLock encrypted NVMe SSD and ArmorLock app include:
- Simple to set up and easy unlock with your smartphone via the ArmorLock app
- High-grade 256-bit AES-XTS hardware encryption
- Secure erase and reformat to your favorite file system in one step
- Track the last known location of the drive on a map
- In-field updates for continued security support, improvements, and new features
- Ultra-rugged durability with IP67 dust/water resistance, up to 3M drop protection, and 1000lb crush resistance.
Pricing and Availability
The ArmorLock encrypted NVMe SSD is available today in the Western Digital Store and from select e-tailers and retailers in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, and Germany. The SSD is available in 2TB for MSRP $599 in the United States.