If you own an iOS device, say, the iPhone or the iPad, you will see that the default internet browser is Apple’s own proprietary browser – Safari. It’s worth noting that while there is no official way to change the default browser on your iPhone to say, Chrome, there are some workarounds that you can exercise.
Let’s take a look at how you can do it –
- Make sure you have downloaded and installed the Chrome browser on your iPhone. To do this, head to the App Store and search for Chrome. Once you see the app, download and install it.
- Next, download and install Gmail on your iPhone. To do this, head back to the App Store, Search for Gmail and download and install the same on your iPhone.
- Once done, open the Gmail app and log in to your account.
- Now, within the Gmail app, on the top left-hand side, click on the icon shaped like three lines. This will open a dashboard.
- Now navigate to the settings and tap on it.
- In the Gmail app settings, select the Default Apps option.
- The first section will ask you to choose the default browser. Here, select the Chrome Browser. An added benefit here is that by chance you have not downloaded the Chrome browser, you can get the app from within the Gmail settings as well.
- This will ensure that all links you get in your Gmail inbox open in Chrome by default.
That’s all there is to it. While you cannot really change your default browser on your iPhone, this little workaround will let you depend more on the Google apps rather than the ones bundled in iOS.