Middle East Film and Comic Con (MEFCC) has a treat in store for creators, comic lovers and art enthusiasts attending the region’s biggest pop culture festival. With an agenda packed with entertaining workshops and a chance to meet some of the biggest artists in the industry, fans can dive into a world of innovation, imagination, and colors, and create their own masterpieces at this year’s event.
Now in its ninth edition, MEFCC runs from 5 – 7 March 2020 at DWTC and plays host to world-renowned artists who have worked on some of the biggest projects for DC, Marvel, Disney and much more.
This year, pop culture fans and art lovers will get to meet a host of renowned artists at dedicated workshops including:
- Sam De La Rosa: A powerhouse in the industry, De La Rosa has worked with Marvel, DC, Image, Disney, and Dark Horse. Credits include Spider-Man, Venom, Carnage, Black Panther, The Avengers, Star Wars, X-Men and more. His contribution to Venom’s Lethal Protector storyline helped inspire the production of the Venom movie that was released in 2018 starring Tom Hardy.
- Jeremy Clark: He has been able to work on various comic projects for multiple publishers. as an all-time iconic, his work on the comics of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is worth noting, and his work on Franklin & Ghost has contributed to an animated adaptation of the comic book, with prolific voice actors Billy Bob Thornton and Sean Schemmel being a part of the project.
- D. Michael Watkins: The founder and owner of Highburn Studios, he has worked with Marvel, DC, Image, Dynamite, Dark Horse and many more publishers, including titles such as Sonic The Hedgehog, Transformers, Iron Man and Avengers. As a practitioner of 30 different Martial Arts, he includes his skills into his artwork.
- Rodney Ramos: He has worked on just about every major character for Marvel Comics and DC Comics with a flourish that makes him a master at his craft. His works include masterful craftsmanship for clients ranging from Valiant, Malibu, Acclaim, Marvel UK, and Neal Adams Continuity Studios, in addition to Marvel and DC. He reached cult status with his work on DC’s “Transmetropolitan,” a huge fan favorite!
- Mostafa Moussa: A veteran of the comic book industry. Mostafa is originally from the region but managed to speed his way through many publishers following his graduation from college. He has worked on titular comics including Batman, X-men, Godzilla and many more.
This year workshops will be much bigger for pop culture lovers who want to jump between consuming and creating. There will be a huge range of topics discussed at the workshop including:
- A session by Bob Hoffman titled, How to Bring Comics into Your School the Right Way
- Hoffman, a professor of Mass-Communication, Art & Design, and Language for almost 16 years will walk students, teachers, and curious convention-goers through the initial steps and pitfalls of introducing comic books, comic strips, and graphic novels into a K-12 or university curriculum.
- A session by Mariana Oliveira Van Den Bos (Rei Suzuki) and Fang Fang Lie (Kaoru Lily)
- Rei Suzuki and Kaoru Lily are two renowned cosplayers from the Netherlands who participated in last year’s 2019 World Cosplay Summit. At this year’s Comic-Con, they will be speaking about cosplay, sharing their experience of last year’s World Cosplay Summit and will also be judging the Cosplay Competition at MEFCC, including The World Cosplay Summit competition.
More details about the full workshop sessions schedule will be announced in the coming weeks.