There may be a new HomePod speaker due next week, but current HomePod users aren’t receiving the quiet treatment. Along with iOS 16.3, Apple has issued HomePod software model 16.3 to all HomePod and HomePod mini devices, which includes significantly more than the usual “general performance and stability enhancements.”
The HomePod really hasn’t gotten that many new features in a single update since model 14.1, which featured an Intercom and a lot of other new Siri features. Most notably, HomePod 16.3 will activate the temperature and humidity sensor inside the HomePod mini to measure the room’s weather. The dormant sensor was discovered during teardowns of the HomePod mini, but it took Apple more than two years to do anything with it.
Furthermore, the replace allows for the following additional options:
- Ambient noises that have been remastered are more immersive and may now be applied to scenes, automation, and alarms in the Home app.
- Find My on HomePod now enables you to ask Siri about the whereabouts of relatives and friends who have shared their location with you.
Recurring Home Automations may be set up using just your voice.
- When smart home requests are completed for equipment that will not clearly display a change or is located in a separate room, the Siri confirmation tone will now play to indicate.
- Audio tuning improves the intelligibility of spoken audio, such as podcasts on HomePod (2nd generation) and HomePod (1st technology).
- HomePod (1st generation) volume controls have been updated to offer more granular adjustments at lower levels.
The HomePod replacement began trickling out on Tuesday, although it may take some time to reach all devices. To replace your HomePod, launch the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, then tap the three-dot menu in the upper right, then Home Settings, and finally Software Update. If the HomePod 16.3 update is available, tap Update and follow the instructions. When the replace starts, a white spinning light will appear on the top of your HomePod or HomePod mini until the replace is finished.