If you own a PC/Laptop for an extended period of time, chances are that it starts showing signs of slowing down. One of the easiest ways to optimize the speed and performance of your PC/Laptop is to free up RAM on your Computer.
In this article, we will take a look at how you can free up some RAM on your Windows 10 PC/Laptop.
Let’s get started –
Method 1 – Shut down Memory Hogging processes
1. Right-click the Windows taskbar and select Task Manager.
2. Click on the Processes tab. 3. Sort the processes by Memory and look for programs at the top of the list that you don’t recognize.
4. If you spot any problem applications, go into the Control Panel, click on Programs and Features, and uninstall those problem applications.
Method 2 – Clean Up Startup programs
1. Still in the Task Manager, click on the Startup tab. 2. Sort the list by the Startup impact field.
3. Identify applications you don’t recognize or don’t need. 4. Right-click on the application and select Disable.
Method 3 – Clear Page File at Shutdown
1. Click the start menu and type Regedit. Click on the Regedit run command.
2. This will open the Registry Editor. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management.
3. Double-click on the ClearPageFileAtShutdown key on the right. 4. Set the Value data field to 1 and click OK.
Method 4 – Reduce Windows Visual Effects
1. Open File Explorer, right-click on This PC, and click on Properties.
2. On the left side of this window, click on Advanced system settings.
3. In the Performance section, click the Settings button.
4. In the Performance Options window, select Adjust for best performance.
This will disable all extra animations, and make the computer a little more responsive.