Internet works best when its uncensored and given full freedom of accessing the information on the web. the extent of Internet censorship varies on a country-to-country basis. While some counties have little Internet censorship, other countries go as far as to limit the access of information such as news and suppress discussion among citizens. Internet censorship can also come about due to events such as the Arab Spring, which led to instances of censorship in an attempt to undermine the protesters. Through 2010 the OpenNet Initiative had documented Internet filtering by governments in over forty countries worldwide.
While its mostly internet service providers that are more likely to block content or websites based on the sensitivities and security of a particular region like for eg. China has the most filtered internet content (a.k.a great firewall of china) but that has not prevented technically savvy citizens to unblock the restrictions by the internet providers to accesses to western news, opinions and social media sites.
So how to access blocked websites? (for educational purpose only we are not responsible if you violate the internet laws in your country )
Use a virtual private network I have personally tested cactus vpn service for a week as of now and the results are impressive.
Some of the advantages I have found is
- No ads while accessing websites through cactus vpn like other vpn services which turns on ads along with the webpage you access.
- You can try a free account for 2 hours before purchasing a membership.
- You have many servers of different location i.e different IP address so you can have access some video streaming service that might be available only in a particular region I personally tried out HULU and BBC iPlayer which is available only in U.S and U.K regions.
- They do have an unlimited bandwidth plan 4.99$ monthly .
- It works for iPhones and iPads too(need to check with Android too)
Advisable to check out the help articles to see how to set up the VPN for the first time and they are in the process of adding more servers from different countries worldwide. A sure to try service.